Monday, March 9, 2009

That Luskin post

I threatened to publish it, so here you go.

My SmartMoney.com column for this week: (Luskin having anything to do with "smart money' is bizarre in itself, but we live in unprecedented times)

Here are a few gems, since I really would not want to think of you all suffering through reading the whole thing, as have I:

It begins thusly: Over the last couple years I loved to ridicule all the scaremongers who always said this, that or the other thing is “the worst since the Great Depression.” I stand by my ridicule, for the most part -- those prophets of doom were mostly broken clocks who look right now just by sheer luck. But there's no question now that things have gotten quite bad in the economy and the markets. (You can almost hear stupid-t-shirt man's brain seizing up...)

And here he dives in headfirst, risking no damage to said 'brain': So let me do the preachers of Armageddon one better. Today's stock market isn't just the “worst since the Great Depression,” like they're so fond of saying. No, it's even worse than the Great Depression.

The 'stupidest man alive' then goes on to list a few things "I didn't count on", all of which have conveniently taken place in the past 5 weeks, and behind which The Donald seeks to hide his skinny ass from two decades of incompetence and bad calls.

Then being the great guy he is, he pats himself on the back thusly, as he begins to wrap things up: I've been writing this column for almost eight (feels like 800) years now. If you've been reading it all that time, you know that if there's an optimistic way to look at the world, I'll find it. "An optimistic view of the world" is Luskin-speak for "I'm-always-wrong-and-spectacularly-so-because-I-am-Christ-like-in-my-faith-in-human-nature-and-the-miracle-of-unfettered-capitalism-so-don't-blame-me-if-facts-don't-ever-agree-because-I-answer-to-a-higher-authority-unlike-you-assholes"

Not leaving well enough alone, Donald just can't resist ending on two very familiar and tired notes:

  1. Make another stupid statement: My only comfort is that with stocks down so much, they're really cheap. (Hello S&P 500!)
  2. Blame someone else in advance: I've said similar things myself all the way down. I have to say, I'm beginning to worry that stocks are cheap for a reason. That reason may be President Obama. (I was nearly stunned here, because you could almost see his rodent brain struggling with the thought: "I've been criminally wrong my whole adult life", but, per usu, Donald pulls back from the brink. Thank god for that! - we will still have Don around to provide his brilliant brand of living self-satire and clueless personal humiliation to keep us diverted.....)

And remember kids - When Luskin say 'worse than the Depression', we can all cheer up....

No comments:

Post a Comment